In the health industry today, there are many drugs available for treating different diseases. These drugs are manufactured in diverse ways using different components; however, due to technology growth and research in health institutions, specialists have developed a way of creating drugs from living organisms. Drugs or medications produced from living organisms such as cells, blood, and tissues are called biologics. Creating biologics from body components requires a specialized doctor to carry out the procedures, biologics are useful in treating and managing diseases like diabetes, chronic pain, and cancer. If you are suffering from arthritis and joint inflammation, consult biologics in Houston for treatment. Below are types of biologics drugs you can take.
The Common Types of Biologics Drugs
There are many types of biologics available for you. These drugs are prescribed according to the type of diseases you are suffering from. Examples of biologics drugs include:
- Humira. Humira is a famous biologic drug that treats autoimmune diseases like Crohn’s disease, psoriasis, and other forms of arthritis such as rheumatoid arthritis. Humira is also known as adalimumab. During the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis, the monoclonal antibodies prevent inflammation of tissues and nerves in the joint by trapping molecules that trigger inflammation.
- Avastin. Avastin is a type of biologic drug used to treat patients with retinal problems that affect aged people. Lucentis drug lies in the same class as Avastin, and it’s put in the eye to treat retinal problems. Moreover, Avastin can manage lung, kidney, breast, brain, and ovarian cancer. Macular degeneration (eye diseases) occurs when some blood vessels grow under the retina, causing loss of sight, and it can progress if not treated.
- Botox (onabotulinumtoxinA). Botox is a biologic drug that is created from bacteria called clostridium botulinum. It is a very popular drug used in cosmetic procedures, such as eliminating wrinkles, fine lines, and sagging skin. However, according to research. Botox drugs can be used to treat other diseases and conditions such as loss of bladder control, hyperhidrosis, especially in the underarm, and muscle spasms.
- Herceptin. Herceptin is a biologic drug that lies under the class called monoclonal antibody. This drug is used to treat HER2- metastatic stomach cancer and breast cancer. During cancer treatment, Herceptin drugs control the multiplication of cancer cells by slowing down the process.
- Lantus. Lantus is generated from human insulin, and it is used to control blood sugar. According to specialists, it should be used once daily by patients with diabetes. The drug helps in storing the excess sugar in muscles and the liver for future use. Lantus drug is suitable for both adults and children with type 1 diabetes.
Biologics have helped many people across the world to recover from diseases that would have taken longer. These drugs help in quick recovery, and no other additional prescriptions are needed. J. Michael Bennett, MD PA, is the best doctor who can offer you the appropriate biologics to heal your complication. Visit him today and enjoy.