Traumatic brain injury mainly refers to injuries to the brain caused by traumatic shock. It is usually caused by violent shaking or by a blow of head or by penetration of the brain tissue.
Types of Traumatic Brain Injury
Traumatic Brain injury can be mild or serious depending on the impact of accidents. Mild brain injuries can show symptoms like temporary memory loss, loss of consciousness, slurred speech and headache or dilated pupils. Mild TBI victims usually do not lose consciousness. However, in serious brain injuries, victims lose consciousness for more than 30 minutes. They can also experience symptoms like a headache, blurred vision, confusion, dizziness, convulsions or seizures, limb paralysis, nausea or vomiting, hearing loss, vision loss or bowel control loss. The most severe traumatic brain injuries can even result in coma or permanent disability or even death. Hence, it is crucial to seek immediate medical attention regardless of the type of TBI.
Victims with mild brain injury can recover under good medical treatment. Some moderately severe cases might need surgery or prolonged medication. However, patients should not exert themselves to overstrain both mentally and physically.
Causes of Traumatic Brain Injury
Brain injury can happen due to various types of accidents like:
- Car accidents – These accidents occur due to the collision of two vehicles. The occupants can hit the dashboard, windows and steering wheels or can be thrown out of the car resulting in serious head injuries. Hence, it is always advised to wear seat belts to avoid such fatal accidents.
- Motorcycle accidents – This is the most dangerous accident – because the biker will have few safety features and can be exposed to all the open elements to cause them harm. As a result, of which he or she is more prone to injuries. Helmets can drastically minimise the cases of brain injuries.
- Slip and falls – When a person loses grip or slips to fall to an accident. The first part to hit the ground is the brain. This can result in devastating accidents leading to deaths or permanent disabilities
- Boating accidents – This is similar to car accidents were two boats collide to result in an accident. This can result in throwing up the passengers, where he or she can get hit by a rock or any other object. There are fairly increased chances of brain injuries in boat accidents.
- Sports accidents – Sports activities like football, rugby, cricket etc have high chances of the player getting hit by a ball or any other heavy object. When the players are running around or chasing one after the other, falling or striking to an object can also result in accidents. This can, in turn, result in traumatic brain injuries.
Some of the other type of accidents includes pedestrian accidents, acts of medical malpractice, impact with falling objects, firearm assaults, child abuse, sports-related accidents and many more.
If you or any of your family member is a victim of brain injury – www.nehoralaw.com- can assist with the best TBI attorneys to resolve all your problems.