Botox is one of the most sought-after cosmetic procedures in the US, not only for women, but men love it too. Botox in Midtown East always stands by your side when it comes to fighting the signs of aging. Everybody knows about its anti-aging qualities but we thought that it would be a good idea to list down some random interesting facts about Botox.
Let’s get started, we hope you have a good time reading these facts.
- It was discovered in the 19th century: Sounds hard to believe, right? This fact feels hard to digest because Botox seems like a very new discovery because it only started being used in the cosmetic industry in 2002 after it was approved by the FDA. It was discovered by a German physician named Justinus Kerner who came up with the idea of using botulinum for therapeutic reasons; he came to this conclusion after experimenting on himself and some animals.
- It was discovered by accident: Doctor Kerner was trying to find the reason why many of the military men were getting food poisoning after eating sausages, and stumbled upon botulinum toxin only by chance, and recognized its potential.
- A possible bioweapon: Botulinum neurotoxin has the capability of becoming a major bioweapon because it can be lethal and is easily produced and transported. In fact, back in the time of World War 2, there was research on making biological weapons out of it.
- Name of a brand: Botox has now become synonymous with the drugs containing botulinum toxin, it is a word that has become universally famous. However, what many people don’t know about it is that it is just the name of a product from a particular brand and there are products that have botulinum toxin in other brands as well.
- Used to treat several medical conditions: Though most people associate Botox with aesthetic uses, it is actually used to provide relief in many medical conditions. It is helpful to those who suffer from migraines because it helps in reducing the number of times that they experience headaches. Some people have a condition called an overactive bladder, Botox also is very helpful in treating this. It is also said that it helps in alleviating depression. And that’s not it, there are many more problems that Botox injections can solve.