Cancer refers to a disease condition where cell growth becomes out of control. Genetically altered cells undergo uncontrollable division. The extra cells formed due to uncontrollable division form tumors. Tumors that don’t spread and whose growth is centralized in one spot are benign. They do not cause many problems and can be often removed without any difficulty. Tumors that invade the tissues and that spread to the other parts are malignant tumors and are cancerous.
Types of cancer
Cancer is of many types. Medical experts believe that there can be more than 200 types of cancer. Common types of cancer include breast cancer, ovarian cancer, liver cancer, cervical cancer, prostate cancer, colon cancer, leukemia, stomach cancer, anal cancer, oral cancer and endometrial cancer etc.
Gone are the days when cancer was considered to be a fatal disease. Today, several treatment options are available. Early diagnosis and right treatment will surely prevent the cancer cells from spreading to other parts and becoming metastatic.
Types of treatment options for cancer
- Surgery – This is the oldest treatment of cancer. Surgical treatment can be successful only before cancer starts to metastasize. However, surgeries keep on improving because of the improvement in the medical field. Today, a little amount of healthy tissue is also removed with the malignant cells and tissue.
- Radiation or radiotherapy – In this type of treatment, cancer cells are destroyed with the help of high energy gamma rays. It targets the cancer cells and shrinks or destroys them. The biggest issue about this type of treatment is its side effects. It is used as a combination treatment with other treatment procedures or as a standalone treatment.
- Chemotherapy – In this treatment chemicals or medicines are used to prevent cancer from spreading to other parts of the body. It is essential to treat a few types of cancer like leukemia and lymphoma etc. It causes side effects like hair loss, fatigue, nausea and vomiting.
- Hormone therapy – Cancers like breast cancer and prostate cancer etc. are related to hormone imbalance. Hormone therapy alters the production of hormones to stop the growth and spreading of cancer. For example, estrogen production is reduced to treat breast cancer.
- Immunotherapy – This treatment procedure involves increase of immunity to shrink the tumor. It can be either local immunotherapy or systemic immunotherapy. This is one of the new types of treatment but there are several encouraging success stories.
- Gene therapy – In this type of therapy, genetic abnormality is corrected and damaged genes are replaced. This is one of the newest therapies and its success is not yet proven.
Cancer treatment is advanced in Singapore. The hospitals in Singapore increase the chances of cure of cancer by following all types of treatment options. They provide a bright ray of hope. Are you not a resident of Singapore? Don’t worry. All you need is a visa. You need not feel anxious about delay in getting visa. Contact One Visa Singapore for your visa needs and immigration support.